Sunday, August 16, 2020

BURNT SOUND / CRACKED DOME / GENE SYMPTOMS UPDATE

 This is the first blog I have written for this particular page in about 6 years.  It will not be a long missive or a series of reviews (although I would like to get back to doing them in the future), but merely a short rundown of what has been going on these days.  I will attempt to keep this short, informative and to the point.  

The pandemic has kept many of us confined to quarters and not venturing out to our usual haunts and doing our ordinary things.  This to me seems like a perfectly opportune time to make noise and bust out some projects.  It seems as of late there has been an uptick in noise related activities from all sectors.  Lots of people getting back to their projects, labels, and zines which is pretty cool to see.  In this weird time of solitude it makes perfect sense to get back to DIY basics.  

The first thing that really sparked my interest was the reassembling of Troniks which is the longtime label of one Phil Blankenship AKA The Cherry Point.  The resurgence of this label has really been inspiring to see.  As a long time lover of all things on  the far fringes of music this is a great time to be a noise fan, noise artist, label purveyor, zine maker.  Thus far I have put in 2 orders to Troniks and not only have I revisited some old favorites but I have gotten in on some new things.  The LHD sets are a must own by the way, absolutely dazzling.  Go check out the action at www.iheartnoise.com right now.

I also received artist copies of Cracked Dome "Aggregate Monotheism" and this too really made me feel good.  I had sent the tracks to Mike Finklea of Nefarious Activities around 5 years ago.  I honesty thought well maybe this release will not come out but it did finally and I am really happy with how it turned out.  Nefarious Activities is a truly excellent, truly DIY label and Mike is a stand up guy.  If you have not done so, please go check his label out at nefariousactivities.blogspot.com. 

We are all home, secluded, quarantined, and slowly losing our minds which to me means its time to dig out those noise making devices out of their cases and getting back on the grind.  So what does this all mean in the grand scheme of things? Well for starters, Cracked Dome is out of hibernation and has recently pulled up a handful of tracks that have been recorded over the last few years.  I finally mixed them all and they are ready to go.  More new tracks will be coming in the next couple of weeks. 

My label Burnt Sound Offerings will also be assembling a small batch of tapes and 3inch CDs for the Fall season.  Thus far there is not much to say about what will be coming out at that time but the word has gotten out to some heavy hitters and this first batch should be a real heavy dose of violence.  One release I can divulge is a split C20 with Portland Oregon skull crusher SBTDOH and Cracked Dome.  I just received his track tonight and it is a monster, I do have my work cut out for me trying to follow him up.  Go support Shrouded Recordings at www.shroudedrecordings.bandcamp.com  as he is truly about as underground as it gets.  

I am also preparing to start work on the 3rd Gene Symptoms solo album called "The Greek." I have a pretty nice crew of fellow allies coming on board to collaborate on the tracks.  There will be 20 tracks all dealing with the concept of the Greek Mafia.  I have no idea what shape this fucker is going to take but it will be epic.  Upon completion I will issue this album along with the previous 2 in a limited edition package.  

Other than that I am staying safe, avoiding fuckheads, and getting my art on.  More news will be forthcoming in the weeks and months ahead.  Perhaps a new issue or two of Witch Kunt?  Who knows?

Get in touch at my instagram page @headless_pymp_recordings 

or email me at burntsound@gmail.com for review requests, info inquires, hate mail etc.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment